Our support group meets monthly on the third Saturday of each month, January-October.
To have the most productive experience, our support group operates under the following guidelines:
1. KEEP CONFIDENTIALITY We maintain confidentiality at all times in all areas having to do with the group and its members. “What is said here – stays here.” Who attends the group is also confidential. To keep our LLMDs & medical doctors safe & in practice, we ask that doctors’ names not be mentioned during our meeting time. Doctors names may be shared among members after/outside the meetings.
2. MAKE “I STATEMENTS” Avoid using “you” or “we” as one can only really speak for oneself.
3. STAY IN THE “HERE AND NOW” Share what you are dealing with today or this week. Bring past history to the present.
4. SHARE FEELINGS. . . about your experience, strength, hope, fear, frustrations, sadness, anxiety, etc. Feelings are neither right nor wrong. We accept one another unconditionally. No shaming or blaming.
5. NO FIXING You may offer insight of your own experiences, but do not try to fix them. Be aware that we do not all respond to the same treatments, so offer your knowledge, but refrain from pushing it upon someone. “This will work for you”, “If you want to get better, try (insert treatment).” Each member grows as he/she expresses him/herself and listens to others. NO DISCUSSION of what someone else has shared; no hearsay.
6. NO CROSS-TALK or discussion. Speak only when it is your turn. Questions can be handled AFTER the presentation (Q&A session) and/or meeting so that sharing will not be interrupted.
7. TIME-LIMITED SHARING At the end of the presentation by a specialist or doctor, note cards will be provided for you to write you question on. Please limit one question per person as we usually have 25-30 questions to cover in a 30-minute Q&A session. Additional questions can be posed following the meeting.
8. KEEP IT POSITIVE When speaking or responding to others, be uplifting and positive. Use positive words when addressing others. Denigration will not be tolerated. We need to keep our group a safe place to share.