1600 Hospital Pkwy Bedford, TX 76022
10:45 am - 12:30 pm
Co-facilitator Debra Sewell
Hyperbaric Healing Centers – Owner
American Association for Hyperbaric Awareness – Founder/President
Association of Independent Hyperbaric Centers – Founder/Board Member
Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy
- Responsible for getting State of Texas (Medicaid/Medicare Program) to pay for Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy Treatments for Stroke patients (1st in the United States)
- Sued State of Texas and received 100 additional Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy treatments all paid for by the State of Texas (Health and Human Resources – Medicaid)
- Helped to write and pass the Texas House Bill 1676 for Brain Injury Law. This mandated insurance companies to provide unlimited rehab therapies for brain injured adults and children (to include HBOT). Texas is the only state to possess such a law. Sat on the implementation committee for this law for State of Texas
- Invited by the State of California to testify before California Legislature on Brain Injury
- Had the honor of not only speaking at Brain Injury support groups and The American Stroke Association but also winning Person of the Year award in 2003 for my work associated with stroke
- Started and President in 2000 American Association for Hyperbaric Awareness 501©3 Non-Profit (AAHA)
- Work at a National level with Congress and Senate on Brain Injury
- AAHA represents Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy in DC each March
- Appointed to Congressional Brain Injury task force in 2000
- Work with Dept. of Defense, Pentagon Officials and high ranking military officials on use of HBOT for soldiers with TBI and PTSD
- AAHA responsible for research studies at Brooks Air Force Base (San Antonio, Tx) and Army military studies on use of HBOT for TBI
- Opened Hyperbaric Healing Centers in Plano, Texas, in 2011
- Work with US Olympic doctors on athletes with injuries using HBOT
- Work with Plastic Surgeons on patients seeking quicker healing time with HBOT
- Work with Pro-athletes with non-healing injuries with HBOT at Hyperbaric Healing Centers
- Treat off-label conditions (non insurance reimbursable conditions) such as: CP, Stroke, Heart Disease, MS, Cancer, LYME DISEASE, etc.
- Work with national headquarters of CMS in Baltimore.
- Hyperbaric Healing Centers is now the very first free standing out patient facility in the US allowed by CMS to bill and treat like a hospital for the approved indications for HBOT.
- Currently working with colleges to place and run chambers on campus for injured athletes
- Started new non-profit 2014 – Association of Independent Hyperbaric Centers – that will be doing research and build a national registry on concussion and use of HBOT
On May 1, 1997, my husband, Bill collapsed with a major bleed in the brain. I was told he could not be saved and asked to donate his organs and I said NO. Bill had surgery, in a coma for 6 months and sat strapped to a wheelchair in an alert vegetative state for the next 3 years with NO hope for any recovery. He could do nothing. I refused to give up and started my journey with doctors around the world in the hyperbaric field as western medicine had nothing to offer Bill. I was strongly advised to put him into an institution because “his life was over – too much total neurological devastation”. I refused. On
May 1, 1997 (our anniversary) my life changed forever. The journey Bill and I have been on since that day will astound and amaze you. I look forward to meeting you and talking about this emerging field of Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy.
Donation Disclaimer: The North Texas Lyme Group depends on donations to keep the group running. Without your donations, our group would not be able to exist. The funds are used for meeting supplies, travel costs such as air travel, hotel and food for doctors and specialists, and other needs of the group. Although we do not require a donation to attend the meetings, we do ask that you to help us fund this community outreach program if you are able by giving what you can. Whether $5 or $20, we appreciate your gift and will use it wisely. If you are unable to make a donation, please enter $1.00 as a donation to pay at the door, and we will wave this donation upon your arrival. Thank you.